Connect with us

World News

South Korea To Shut A Quarter Of Its Coal-Fired Plants Over Winter To Cut Pollution

Published

on

South Korea To Shut A Quarter Of Its Coal-Fired Plants Over Winter To Cut Pollution

South Korea has decided to shut down up to a quarter of its coal-fired generators for three months this winter in an effort to curb air pollution.

The country’s ministry of trade, industry and energy says between eight and 15 generators will close from December till end of February, with the remainder operating at a maximum 80% capacity.

READ:  South Korea's First Military Satellite Launched

It will be the first time South Korea has closed coal-fired generators during winter — when demand for electricity is at its highest — and the ministry said the move would reduce fine dust emissions by 44% from last year.

READ:  Israeli Troops Kill Four Palestinians As Gaza Protest Resumes

Dirty air is a serious problem in South Korea.

The largest electric utility, Korea electric power corporation reveals South Korea has 58 publicly owned coal-fired generators. A total of 46% of the country’s energy is generated from coal

READ:  Gambians Use Plastic Waste To Make Beautiful Artwork

There are 13 coal plants in South Korea and there can be multiple generators within one plant.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

World News

Belarus President Closes Western Borders, Puts Army On High Alert

Published

on

By

Belarus President Closes Western Borders, Puts Army On High Alert

Protesters in Belarus are still angry in their sixth week of mass protests demanding the resignation of president Alexander Lukashenko.

The president has announced, in retaliation, he is putting troops on high alert and closing the country’s borders with Poland and Lithuania.  He also said the Belarusian border with Ukraine would be strengthened.

READ:  UK To Make Fresh Brexit Proposals On Tuesday

Lukashenko insists the six weeks of protests are driven by the west. He faces increasing criticism from the united states and the European Union.

Demonstrations began after the disputed august presidential election official results gave the authoritarian leader a sixth term in office–results opponents say were manipulated.

READ:  Volkswagen Not Prepared To Cover Full Costs Of Diesel Retrofits - Source

Continue Reading

World News

Bolivian Interim President Anez Withdraws From Election Race

Published

on

By

Bolivian Interim President Anez Withdraws From Election Race

Bolivia’s interim president Jeanine Anez has withdrawn from next month’s presidential election, saying she’s withdrawing in the interest of the party.

Anez, a former conservative senator, took office during the power vacuum that followed former president Morales’s departure after allegations of irregularities in last year’s election.  Those allegations fueled violent protests, and army pressure forced the country’s first indigenous president into exile in Mexico.

READ:  Air Pollution May Be Making Us Less Intelligent

Anez says if she does not step down, Morales would possibly return to power.

She declined to name the candidate for whom she will vote.

Next month’s election is the delayed rerun of last year’s ballot.  Anez’s candidacy had sparked controversy after she initially ruled herself out and pledged to guide the country to transparent new elections.

READ:  South Korea's First Military Satellite Launched

By pulling out of the race, analysts say Anez could increase chances that the election will be pushed to a second round by consolidating the anti-Arce vote.

READ:  Volkswagen Not Prepared To Cover Full Costs Of Diesel Retrofits - Source

To avoid a second round, the election winner requires at least 40 percent of valid votes in the first round and a 10-point advantage over the closest competitor.

Continue Reading

World News

First Case-Free Day For New Zealand In Five Weeks

Published

on

By

First Case-Free Day For New Zealand In Five Weeks

New Zealand for the first time in more than five weeks has reported no new confirmed cases of the coronavirus amid efforts to stamp out an outbreak discovered in Auckland last month ending a spell of 102 days free of community transmission.

READ:  South Korea Jails Ex-President Lee Myung-Bak

The South Pacific nation with its population of five million has reported more than 1,800 cases of COVID-19 and 25 fatalities.

The report on Friday also marked the fourth consecutive day without any cases of community transmission. All recent cases have been found among quarantined travellers returning from abroad.

READ:  Gambians Use Plastic Waste To Make Beautiful Artwork

Following strict measures in response to the COVID-19 pandemic which were widely praised, New Zealand is in its deepest recession in decades after the country’s GDP shrank by 12.2% between April and June as the lockdown and border closures hit.

READ:  Air Pollution May Be Making Us Less Intelligent

Auckland lockdown began on 12 August after four cases were detected in the city of 1.5 million.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: