Connect with us

World News

Gunmen Kill Head Of Japan Aid Agency, Five Others In Afghanistan

Published

on

Gunmen Kill Head Of Japan Aid Agency, Five Others In Afghanistan

Afghan officials said six persons including the head of a Japanese aid agency were on Wednesday Killed by gunmen in an attack on their vehicle in Jalalabad in eastern Afghanistan.

73-year-old Tetsu Nakamura, head of Peace Japan Medical Services had been involved in rebuilding Afghan irrigation and agriculture and had recently been granted honorary Afghan citizenship for his contributions and decades of humanitarian work in the east of the country.

READ:  Ethiopia Holds Memorial For Slain Military Chief Of Staff

Attaullah Khogyani, a spokesman for Nangarhar’s governor said Dr. Nakamura passed away from the wounds he received in the armed attack.

Reacting to the news, Japan Prime Minister Shinzo Abe told a news conference in Tokyo “I am shocked that he had to die in this way,”

Abe said “he risked his life in a dangerous environment to do various work, and the people of Afghanistan were very grateful to him,” he added “Dr. Nakamura has been doing great work in the reconstruction of Afghanistan, especially in irrigation and agriculture.”

READ:  Trump Backs Away From Further Military Conflict With Iran

No group has yet claimed responsibility for the attack, but Zabihullah Mujahid, a spokesman for the Afghan Taliban, said the militant group was not involved in the shooting.

READ:  Woman Arrested For Stalking Man With 65,000 Text Messages

Police have launched a search operation to arrest them, Sohrab Qaderi, a member of the governing council in the province of Nangarhar told Reuters,

The attack comes a week after a grenade attack on a United Nations vehicle in Kabul heightened fears for those doing humanitarian work amid one of the world’s longest-running conflicts.

World News

Turkey Trial Of Saudi Suspects In Jamal Khashoggi Murder Begins

Published

on

By

Turkey Trial Of Saudi Suspects In Jamal Khashoggi Murder Begins

Twenty Saudi nationals including two former aides to Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman have gone on trial in absentia in a Turkish court over the killing and dismembering of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi in October 2018.

Khashoggi was killed inside the Saudi consulate at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul in 2018 after he entered the premises to obtain paperwork for his planned marriage.

The trial began at Istanbul province’s main court in Caglayan district at 10am local time (07:00 GMT) on Friday.

READ:  Sri Lanka Bombings: At Least 207 People Killed By Explosions On Easter Sunday

Turkish officials say Khashoggi’s body was dismembered at the consulate by the killers and his remains are yet to be found.

59-year-old Khashoggi was an insider-turned-critic who wrote for The Washington Post before he was killed inside the Saudi consulate. He was also a vocal critic of the prince.

Saudi Arabia carried out a separate trial over the killing that was heavily criticized as incomplete. In December a court in Saudi Arabia sentenced five persons to death and three to jail for Khashoggi’s killing, but the trial was secretive and the defendants were not named.

READ:  ANN News Debuts on MITV

The Saudi authorities initially denied any involvement in the case, but later called it a “rogue operation”.

The AFP news agency reports that his fiancee Hatice Cengiz is attending the trial alongside the UN Special Rapporteur on extrajudicial executions, Agnes Callamard.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has said the order to murder Khashoggi came from “the highest levels” of the Saudi government but has never directly blamed Prince Mohammed.

READ:  Woman Arrested For Stalking Man With 65,000 Text Messages

Turkish prosecutors claim Saudi deputy intelligence chief Ahmed al-Assiri and the royal court’s media czar Saud al-Qahtani led the operation and gave orders to a Saudi hit team.

The prosecutor has already issued arrest warrants for the suspects who are not in Turkey.

Continue Reading

World News

Pakistan PM Imran Khan Blames India For Stock Exchange Attack

Published

on

By

Pakistan PM Imran Khan Blames India For Stock Exchange Attack

Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan has told the country’s Parliament he is certain that India was behind the deadly attack on the stock exchange building in the southern city of Karachi in which at least seven persons were killed.

READ:  Merkel, Babis Finally Agree On Migration

On Monday, four gunmen armed with grenades and automatic rifles attacked the Pakistan Stock Exchange, killing two guards and a police officer before security forces killed the attackers.

Khan told parliament on Tuesday that he believed India was behind, he said “for the last two months my Cabinet knew [that there would be an attack]. I had informed my minister. All our agencies were on high alert.”

READ:  Trump: Iran 'Fully Responsible' For Tensions Around US Embassy

However, India had denied the charge a day earlier.

Militants from the Baloch Liberation Army say they were behind the attack.

Pakistan has suffered years of militant violence, mostly by Islamist groups, but attacks such as this one have become rare in recent years.

READ:  Britain, Canada Establish Fund To Train And Support Journalists

Continue Reading

World News

British PM Boris Johnson Warns Israel Against Plans To Annex Part Of West Bank

Published

on

By

British PM Boris Johnson Warns Israel Against Plans To Annex Part Of West Bank

United Kingdom Prime Minister Boris Johnson has on Wednesday urged Israel not to go ahead with the annexation of part of the occupied West Bank, saying it would be illegal and “contrary” to the country’s interests.

Earlier, Israeli prime minister, Benjamin Netanyahu had set Wednesday as a possible start date for the process of applying Israeli sovereignty to Jewish settlements and the Jordan Valley.

READ:  Britain, Canada Establish Fund To Train And Support Journalists

But that plan seems to have stalled. The plan offers United States recognition of Israel’s settlements dotted across the West Bank, and Israeli sovereignty over the Jordan Valley — land captured in the 1967 Middle East war and claimed by Palestinians for a future state.

READ:  Israel Evacuates Hundreds Of White Helmets To Jordan In Face Of Syria Advance

Last week, more than 1,000 European parliamentarians from 25 countries denounced Israel’s plan to annex parts of the occupied West Bank and Jordan Valley saying the move would be “fatal to the prospects of Israeli-Palestinian peace” and must be prevented, if necessary with countermeasures.

The European governments in a letter signed urged leaders to prevent the annexation process and save the prospects of a two-state solution, saying the annexation would break international law.

READ:  Algeria's 81-Year-Old Bouteflika To Seek 5th Term In Presidential Election

The settlements are widely considered illegal under international law, though Israel – and the US under the Trump administration – denies this.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: