Connect with us

African News

ICC Prosecutor Warns Of Trials Over Guinea Clashes

Published

on

ICC Prosecutor Warns Of Trials Over Guinea Clashes

The International Criminal Court (ICC) has asked Guinea`s government and the opposition to resume talks following protests and deadly clashes.

The opposition says at least 16 civilians have been killed since last month during demonstrations in the capital Conakry on suspicion that president Alpha Condé intends to amend the constitution to run for office again.

READ:  Sudan's Al-Bashir Extends Ceasefires In Two Conflict Zones

ICC’s chief prosecutor, Fatou Bensouda has warned that those who commit or incite violence in the country will be made to face trial in guinea or at the ICC.

READ:  Detained Kenyan Security Officers Have Been Released

Already, the international court is investigating the 2009 massacre of more than a hundred fifty opposition supporters in the country.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

African News

Explosion At Astron Energy’s South African Refinery Kills At Least Two: Source

Published

on

By

Explosion At Astron Energy's South African Refinery Kills At Least Two: Source

An explosion went off at Astron energy refinery in South African on Thursday. A source who works at the 100,000 barrel per day plant says, at least two persons are reported killed in the explosion and several others injured.

READ:  Liberia To Reopen Airport And Hotels

The plant, which was just starting up after undergoing extended maintenance, was shut down after a fire broke out early on Thursday.

The company- Astron energy `s spokesperson has not responded.

READ:  Uganda To Test Locally Made Solar Powered Buses

Continue Reading

African News

Mali Opposition Seeks To Curb President’s Authority In Reform Plan

Published

on

By

Mali Opposition Seeks To Curb President's Authority In Reform Plan

Opponents of Mali’s president Ibrahim Boubacar Keita have sought on Wednesday to end a political crisis by proposing reforms to neuter his authority and hand executive power to a prime minister.

Thousands of people took to the streets of the capital Bamako twice in June to demand the immediate resignation of Keita saying he had been unable to resolve Mali’s numerous crises, while corruption and economic hardship have flourished.

READ:  Anti-Racism Protests Staged In South Africa

A leader of opposition coalition, Choguel Kokala Maiga, presented a nine-point proposal this week that included the appointment of a prime minister by the opposition. But did not push for a demand for the president`s resignation.

Among the group’s proposals are the dissolution of the national assembly, a transitional legislative body, the renewal of members of Mali’s highest court, and a government of national unity.

Their proposal would effectively curtail Keita’s powers to that of a ceremonial head of state. 75-year-old Keita, was re-elected in 2018 for a second five-year term.

READ:  130 Demonstrators Injured In France After Violent Protests Against High Cost Of Living

Mali has been in political turmoil since a disputed legislative election in march. The lead-up to the poll was marred by allegations of vote buying and intimidation and the kidnapping of opposition leader Soumaila Cisse.

As concerns about Mali’s political instability are growing, Boubacar Keita`s government has offered concessions, including a unity government, while mediators from the regional body ECOWAS have proposed new legislative elections in disputed constituencies. These have been rejected by the opposition.

READ:  Anti-Government Protests Continue To Spread In Sudan

The united nations, which has thousands of peacekeepers in the country, has also called for calm and dialogue. At a Sahel security summit on Tuesday, France, EU and regional leaders called for a peaceful resolution to the crisis.

Continue Reading

African News

Burundi To Boost Testing, President Labels Covid-19 ‘Worst Enemy’

Published

on

By

Burundi To Boost Testing, President Labels Covid-19 'Worst Enemy'

Burundi’s new president Evariste Ndayishimiye says his government will take the coronavirus pandemic more seriously than his late predecessor. Former president Pierre Nkurunziza who died last month was criticized for not taking the pandemic seriously.

READ:  Guinea: Several Killed In Protests Against New Constitution

Now, Ndayishimiye says screenings will be launched wherever clusters of cases are suspected, and that soap prices and water bills will be reduced. He called the coronavirus the country’s worst enemy.

READ:  Liberia To Reopen Airport And Hotels

Some countries and human rights groups have expressed hope that the new president, an ally of Nkurunziza, might break with certain ways of his predecessor.

READ:  Chinese Medical Team Arrives In DRC To Help Fight Covid-19

Burundi has reported 170 confirmed coronavirus cases.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: