Connect with us

World News

British Police Shoot Dead Knife Man At London Bridge

Published

on

British Police Shoot Man At London Bridge After Stabbing

British police shot dead a man on Friday after a number of people were stabbed in the London Bridge area in the centre of the city.

According to BBC report, several men were seen attacking one man in a fight on the bridge. Police then arrived quickly and a number of shots were fired at the man.

British Police Shoot Man At London Bridge After Stabbing

The Met Police has declared the attack a terrorist incident.

READ:  Female Malaysian Football Fan Plays Freestyle Football With Hijab

The suspect, who died at the scene, was believed to have been wearing a hoax explosive device, police said.

A viral video on social media showed what appeared to be three police officers backing away from a man lying on the pavement.

British Transport Police said London Bridge station was currently closed and no trains would be stopping there.

READ:  INF Treaty: US To Formally Withdraw From Arms Control Agreement With Russia

Police have advised people near the scene to follow directions from officers on the ground.

The circumstances surrounding the incident remained unclear. A number of people are reportedly injured.

The prime minister, Boris Johnson tweeted he was being updated on the incident and wanted to thank police and all emergency services for their response.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

World News

Belarus President Closes Western Borders, Puts Army On High Alert

Published

on

By

Belarus President Closes Western Borders, Puts Army On High Alert

Protesters in Belarus are still angry in their sixth week of mass protests demanding the resignation of president Alexander Lukashenko.

The president has announced, in retaliation, he is putting troops on high alert and closing the country’s borders with Poland and Lithuania.  He also said the Belarusian border with Ukraine would be strengthened.

READ:  At Least 40 feared Dead In Shipwreck Off Libya, Says UN Agency

Lukashenko insists the six weeks of protests are driven by the west. He faces increasing criticism from the united states and the European Union.

Demonstrations began after the disputed august presidential election official results gave the authoritarian leader a sixth term in office–results opponents say were manipulated.

READ:  Michael Jackson Wax Statue Removed From Denmark’s Oldest Shopping Mall

Continue Reading

World News

Bolivian Interim President Anez Withdraws From Election Race

Published

on

By

Bolivian Interim President Anez Withdraws From Election Race

Bolivia’s interim president Jeanine Anez has withdrawn from next month’s presidential election, saying she’s withdrawing in the interest of the party.

Anez, a former conservative senator, took office during the power vacuum that followed former president Morales’s departure after allegations of irregularities in last year’s election.  Those allegations fueled violent protests, and army pressure forced the country’s first indigenous president into exile in Mexico.

READ:  Iran Says Beirut Blast Should Not Be Politicized

Anez says if she does not step down, Morales would possibly return to power.

She declined to name the candidate for whom she will vote.

Next month’s election is the delayed rerun of last year’s ballot.  Anez’s candidacy had sparked controversy after she initially ruled herself out and pledged to guide the country to transparent new elections.

READ:  ANN News 5PM | Labour Strike Begins | September 27, 2018

By pulling out of the race, analysts say Anez could increase chances that the election will be pushed to a second round by consolidating the anti-Arce vote.

READ:  US: Nationwide Protests Continue, Three Officers Hospitalized

To avoid a second round, the election winner requires at least 40 percent of valid votes in the first round and a 10-point advantage over the closest competitor.

Continue Reading

World News

First Case-Free Day For New Zealand In Five Weeks

Published

on

By

First Case-Free Day For New Zealand In Five Weeks

New Zealand for the first time in more than five weeks has reported no new confirmed cases of the coronavirus amid efforts to stamp out an outbreak discovered in Auckland last month ending a spell of 102 days free of community transmission.

READ:  Italy Coronavirus: 59,138 Cases And 5,476 Deaths

The South Pacific nation with its population of five million has reported more than 1,800 cases of COVID-19 and 25 fatalities.

The report on Friday also marked the fourth consecutive day without any cases of community transmission. All recent cases have been found among quarantined travellers returning from abroad.

READ:  Trump Congratulates Pelosi

Following strict measures in response to the COVID-19 pandemic which were widely praised, New Zealand is in its deepest recession in decades after the country’s GDP shrank by 12.2% between April and June as the lockdown and border closures hit.

READ:  British Boris Johnson Wins Parliamentary Majority

Auckland lockdown began on 12 August after four cases were detected in the city of 1.5 million.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: