Connect with us

World News

Belgium Formally Arrests Catalan Separatists At Spain’s Request

Published

on

Belgium Formally Arrests Catalan Separatists At Spain's Request

Weeks after Spain jailed nine Catalan separatist politicians over a failed 2017 declaration of independence for Catalonia, two Catalan leaders sought by Spain for their involvement in the failed independence bid have been formally arrested in Belgium but later released pending an extradition hearing.

READ:  Spanish Authorities, NGOs Relocate Migrants

On Friday, Belgian federal prosecutors said in a statement, Lluis Puig and Toni Comin were notified of their arrest warrant when they presented themselves to Belgian police on Thursday, then released on condition that they do not leave Belgium.

READ:  7 Ethiopian Migrants Die In Boat Mishap

Spain reactivated European warrants for Lluis Puig and Toni Comin since nine other separatist leaders were given long prison sentences in Madrid last month for their role in an illegal referendum and declaration of independence for Catalonia in 2017.

READ:  Ryanair Strikes Disrupt 40,000 Passengers Across Europe

Puig and Comin are contesting their extradition and a court will hold a hearing on the matter on Nov. 15, prosecutors said.

World News

World Bank Lends Philippines $500m To Counter Virus Impact

Published

on

By

World Bank Lends Philippines $500m To Counter Virus Impact

The World Bank Group has said on Friday it has approved a $500m loan for the Philippines to help it cope with the economic impact of the novel coronavirus pandemic.

READ:  7 Ethiopian Migrants Die In Boat Mishap

The country’s Finance Secretary Carlos Dominguez said in a statement the loan will support efforts to provide immediate relief to poor Filipinos and small business workers who have lost their jobs during the lockdown.

READ:  China Reports No Covid-19 Deaths For First Time

In one of the world’s toughest and longest lockdowns for residents which started since mid-March, the Philippine government will begin easing restrictions from June 1 in the capital and other key cities, restoring much-needed activity to an economy facing its deepest contraction in nearly three decades.

READ:  Covid-19: Spain Reports 757 Deaths In Second Successive Daily Rise

Continue Reading

World News

George Floyd: Protesters Set Minneapolis Police Station Ablaze

Published

on

By

George Floyd: Protesters Set Minneapolis Police Station Ablaze

In the United States, a police precinct in Minneapolis, Minnesota has been set on fire on Thursday night during a protests which erupted across the United States over the death of George Floyd, an unarmed Black man, intensified.

Demonstrators vented their rage over the death of Floyd who appeared in a viral video gasping for breath while a white police officer knelt on his neck to the ground for several minutes.

READ:  Morocco And Spain To Place Joint Bid For 2030 FIFA World Cup

Floyd died on Monday. Hundreds of protesters marched in downtown Minneapolis for a third night on Thursday, demanding justice and an end to police violence.

The four officers involved were swiftly fired, but Floyd’s family, community leaders and residents are calling for arrests to be made.

Earlier, police officers fired tear gas and rubber bullets in an attempt to disperse a crowd outside the 3rd Precinct, the epicentre of the unrest.

READ:  Denmark, France, Italy Support European-Led Naval Mission For Hormuz - Diplomats

But the cordon around the police station was eventually breached by protesters, who set fire to it and two other nearby buildings, as officers withdrew.

The Minneapolis Police Department said in a statement that the 3rd Precinct had been evacuated shortly after 22:00 “in the interest of the safety of our personnel”.

READ:  U.S. Airstrike Kills 60 Al-Shabab Militants

On Thursday, Floyd’s brother, Philonise Floyd, told CNN he hoped the officers involved got the death penalty, he added that the officers who “executed my brother in broad daylight” must be arrested and that he was “tired of seeing black men die”.

Continue Reading

World News

Covid-19: Britain Launches New Test And Trace Service

Published

on

By

Covid-19: Britain Launches New Test And Trace Service

Before now, anyone in the United Kingdom, who developed symptoms of coronavirus, for example persistent cough, fever or sudden loss of taste or sense of smell, had to isolate for seven, the rest of their household for 14 days.

But from now on, everyone with symptoms could call 119 for an online test.

READ:  U.S. Airstrike Kills 60 Al-Shabab Militants

This is a new approach to gradually take the United Kingdown out of lockdown restrictions, and reduce the spread of the coronavirus pandemic. It is called a test and trace service operated by the National Health Service (NHS).

UK government says the new service will help identify, contain, control and reduce the spread of the deadly virus that has claimed more than 37,000 lives.

READ:  Morocco And Spain To Place Joint Bid For 2030 FIFA World Cup

Under the new system, anyone who tests positive for coronavirus will be contacted by NHS test and trace, and will need to share information about those with whom he recently interacted.

Executive chair of NHS test and trace, Dido Harding says the system has already employed more than 40,000 persons.

READ:  34 Afghan Civilians Killed As Bus Hits Roadside Bomb

Thousands of contact tracers are already making their first phone calls

Northern Ireland has its own version of the test and trace programme already, and Wales’ scheme is due to start in early June.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: