Connect with us

World News

Bangladesh Sentences Seven To Death For 2016 Cafe Attack

Published

on

Bangladesh Sentences Seven To Death For 2016 Cafe Attack

Seven Islamists have been sentenced to death by a Bangladesh court for their roles in a deadly 2016 terror attack on foreigners in a café.

The attack on the upmarket Holey Artisan Bakery cafe in Dhaka on July 1, 2016, the deadliest terrorist incident in Bangladesh’s history, killed 22 persons, mostly foreigners.

The attack was claimed by the Islamic State (IS) group, but Bangladesh disputed this, instead holding a local militant group responsible. The defendants, all said to be members of the group Jamaat-ul-Mujahideen Bangladesh, which seeks to establish sharia rule in the predominantly Muslim country

READ:  "I Killed Bob Marley" - Ex-CIA Agent

Among the eight defendants, one person was acquitted by the court on Wednesday, which delivered its verdict amid tight security as hundreds of security forces, including the paramilitary Rapid Action Battalion, were deployed in and around the court premises in Dhaka.

Judge Md Majibur Rahman of the Anti-Terrorism Special Tribunal of Dhaka ordered the deaths by hanging.

READ:  US Says Israeli Settlements Are No Longer Illegal

“These people wanted to wreak havoc in the society and wanted to establish a Jihadist state. As their activities threatened public safety, they will be executed by hanging until they are pronounced dead,” Judge Rahman pronounced.

The seven men convicted were guilty of planning the attack, providing guns, making bombs and murder, prosecutors said

The seven convicts facing the gallows are: Hadisur Rahman, Rakibul Hasan Regan, Aslam Hossain Rash, Md Abdus Sabur Khan, Shariful Islam Khaled, Mamunur Rashid Ripon and Jahangir Hossain.

READ:  Trump Attacks Obama For Statement On US Mass Shootings

“You will be judged by Allah in afterlife,” one of them shouted at Judge Rahman, according to Aljazeera.

A defence lawyer said the seven men would appeal. Death sentences in Bangladesh are carried out by hanging.

World News

India Citizenship Law Protests Spread Across Campuses, PM Appeals For Calm

Published

on

By

India Citizenship Law Protests Spread Across Campuses

Violent protests against a new law on illegal migrants entered a fifth day as India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi appealed for calm as more than 100 protesting students have been injured in the country.

The country’s prime minister in a tweet on Monday said “I want to unequivocally assure my fellow Indians that Citizenship Amendment Act does not affect any citizen of India of any religion. No Indian has anything to worry regarding this act. This act is only for those who have faced years of persecution outside and have no other place to go except India.

READ:  International Court Says It Is Undeterred After Bolton Threatens U.S. Sanctions

Protests resumed in Delhi and several other cities on Monday over a new law that was passed by parliament last week.

Under the law, religious minorities such as Hindus and Christians in neighboring Muslim-majority Bangladesh, Pakistan and Afghanistan who have settled in India prior to 2015 will have a path to citizenship on grounds they faced persecution in those countries. Some critics say the law is anti-Muslim and violates India’s secular constitution.

The United Nations Human Rights office earlier this week voiced concern that the new law was fundamentally discriminatory in nature.

READ:  Angela Merkel Visits Africa

On Sunday, police charged at demonstrators holding anti-citizenship law protests and fired tear gas at them in two federally-run universities, as buses were torched and roads were blocked.

Clashes erupted after police tried to disperse the demonstrators as they reached the Sarai Julena area near the university campus, with buses and private vehicles set on fire.

India Citizenship Law Protests Spread Across Campuses

India Citizenship Law Protests Spread Across Campuses

At least 100 people were wounded following the violence, although university authorities said the students did not take part in the burning of vehicles.

READ:  Zimbabweans Go To Polls

Local media reported that videos shot by students show police beating up students inside campus areas like bathrooms and the library.

Police have said that they did what was “necessary” to stop the protests.

Main opposition Congress party leader, Rahul Gandhi said, the Modi government was dividing up Indian society through the citizenship law and a plan to launch a national citizenship register.

In southern Delhi, some schools have been asked to remain closed on Monday.

Continue Reading

World News

EU Leaders Agree To 2050 Carbon Neutrality Deal Without Poland

Published

on

By

EU Leaders Agree To 2050 Carbon Neutrality Deal Without Poland

The European Union has left Poland out of a 2050 climate neutrality agreement that will see carbon emissions reduced to zero by 2050.

This agreement came after hours of haggling with three eastern European member states that demanded more funds for economic transition and support for nuclear power.

READ:  Isreal And Chad Restore Relationship Ties

European Council new president, Charles Michel said the bloc was committed to the 2050 target but that “one member state at this stage cannot commit to implement this objective.

The conclusions also acknowledge the need to respect the rights of EU member states to decide on their own energy mix.

READ:  Trump Attacks Obama For Statement On US Mass Shootings

If the agreement had passed unanimously, Europe would have become the biggest economic bloc yet to set a goal of becoming carbon neutral by 2050.

Polish negotiators had reportedly pushed for a climate neutrality date of 2070 instead of 2050.

READ:  Ursula von der Leyen Confirmed As First Female President Of The European Commission

Poland relies on coal for almost 80 per cent of its electricity.

Continue Reading

World News

U.S. And China Agree To A ‘Phase One’ Trade Deal

Published

on

By

U.S. And China Agree To A ‘Phase One’ Trade Deal

US president Donald Trump has signed off on a phase-one trade deal with China, averting Sunday`s introduction of a new wave of US tariffs on about $160 billion of consumer goods from the Asian nation.

The deal, presented to Trump by trade advisers, includes a promise by the Chinese to buy more us agricultural goods.

READ:  "I Killed Bob Marley" - Ex-CIA Agent

Officials also said they discussed possible reductions in existing duties on Chinese products. The terms have been agreed, but the legal text has not yet been finalized.

Trump has changed his mind on deals with china before. Negotiators have been working on the terms of the phase-one deal for months, after the president announced in October the two nations had reached an agreement that could be put on paper within weeks.

READ:  ANN News Brief - 10AM, July 27, 2018

 

The US has added a 25 per cent duty on about $250 billion of Chinese products, and a 15 per cent levy on another u$110 billion of its imports over the course of the roughly 20-month trade war.

READ:  Zimbabwe Police Ban Public Gatherings In Capital To Contain Cholera Outbreak

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: