President Muhammadu Buhari has begun addressing the worsening security situation in the north-western part of the country. He has summoned top security chiefs to a closed-door meeting on Thursday, facing rising pressure to address the problem.
Chief of Defence Staff, General Gabriel Olonisakin told reporters the meeting was to address increasing cases of kidnapping, banditry and other associated issues confronting the nation.
He said a “revised strategy” was agreed after the president ordered the chiefs to “immediately and ruthlessly ensure that all those bandits are immediately dealt with.”
The country has been rocked by a series of large-scale attacks that have coincided with an ongoing insurgency by Boko Haram jihadists in the country’s northeast.
A week of sporadic clashes this month has left more than a hundred dead. There have been bandit attacks, particularly in Zamfara State — the theatre for village raids, cattle theft and kidnapping for ransom.
Kaduna and Katsina States have experience spill-over violence, communal attacks and conflict between farmers and herders.
Violence spilled into neighbouring Kaduna State, compounding a security crisis following spates of communal attacks and a conflict between farmers and herders, predominantly over land.
Governor Ortom Tests Positive For COVID-19
Benue governor, Samuel Ortom has tested positive for the coronavirus. The governor, who is a-symptomatic, has started receiving COVID-19 treatment.
Most of Ortom’s close aides are said to have tested positive in the last few weeks.
The governor has advised those who had been in contact with him in the last few days to submit for covid-19 tests. He also stressed that they should also encourage those with whom they have come in contact to also seek the virus tests to ensure their covid-19 status.
He also advised Benue residents to ensure compliance with COVID-19 measures, including wearing of face masks, use of sanitizer, regular hand-washing and physical and social distancing.
Ortom also said people should not be afraid of going for COVID-19 tests as that would help in curbing the spread of the disease.
Nigeria Customs To Begin Reduction On Vehicle Duties
The Nigeria Customs Service says reduction on imported vehicles duties will begin next week.
Comptroller-general of customs, Hamed Ali said the vehicle tariff reduction is already contained in the 2020 Finance Act.
Ali told newsmen on Tuesday they are expecting an official communication from the finance ministry on the plan. He said once it is received, they will commence implementation immediately and inform command. He added “we are hoping that latest by next week, it will become operational.”
NCS said a slash on duties is to ease the cost of transportation in Nigeria.
Ondo People Cannot Continue To Live In Fear—Akeredolu; Miyetti Allah Owns No Land In Nigeria–Arewa Youths
Ondo governor Oluwarotimi Akeredolu has reaffirmed his stand that people in the state must be secured and should not continue to live in fear of kidnappings and crimes.
He made the reaffirmation when he received the assistant Inspector-General of Police for zone 17 in Akure, and brigadier-general Raymond Utsaha, the new brigade commander of the 32 artillery, Owena cantonment in the state.
Akeredolu implored them to collaborate with other security agencies in the state to tackle insecurity.
Meanwhile, the Arewa Youth Consultative Forum has described as “rubbish” the claim by Miyetti Allah Kautal Hore that Fulani herdsmen own all the land in Nigeria.
The forum’s national president, Yerima Shettima, said nobody, but the government, owns the land in the country. Miyetti Allah’s leader, bello Abdullahi Bodejo, has remarked on Sunday that no power can remove Fulani herdsmen from any forests in any state. He was reacting to governor Akeredolu’s seven-day ultimatum that expired on Sunday.