Connect with us

African News

Burundi Orders UN To Shut Human Rights Office

Published

on

Burundi Orders UN To Shut Human Rights Office

The Burundi foreign ministry has ordered the united nations human rights council to shut its office in the country within two months. A UN source says the Burundi government is growing more radical and defiant towards the international community.

READ:  10 People Killed In Zambian Dump Collapse

Burundi has also recently boycotted an East African community summit which was meant to focus on Burundi’s ongoing political crisis.

The country left the International Criminal Court last year after it launched an investigation into the alleged atrocities in the country.

READ:  Four Arrested For Robbing In Muizenberg, Cape Town

President Pierre Nkurunziza’s decision to run for a third term started a wave of political violence in the country in 2015.  The united nations says that move led to hundreds of deaths, and more than 400,000 people have fled the country.

READ:  Burundi, Sierra Leone Confirm Index Cases Of Coronavirus

African News

Libya To Impose Full Lockdown As Pandemic Cases Grow

Published

on

By

Libya To Impose Full Lockdown As Pandemic Cases Grow After a sharp rise in coronavirus cases Libya's internationally recognized government in Tripoli has said a full lockdown will be reimposed in certain areas of the country it controls. Libya's National Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), one of the few bodies that operates across the country despite the conflict, has confirmed 3,222 cases. However, the disease has been spreading more quickly this month. Libya’s health system is in tatters after nearly a decade of chaos and war that has fragmented the state, destroyed infrastructure and left many people living in crowded conditions after fleeing their homes. The lockdown which will start on Friday is going to last for at least five days, forbidding all movement outside except to buy necessities, and replacing a partial 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. curfew. Split since 2014 between areas held by the Government of National Accord (GNA) in Tripoli and a rival administration in the east, Libya managed to avoid an early surge of the pandemic According to the country’s health agency even as cases have also been confirmed in most other major population centres, the main outbreaks are focused in Tripoli, the port of Misrata and in the southern desert town of Sebha.

After a sharp rise in coronavirus cases Libya’s internationally recognized government in Tripoli has said a full lockdown will be reimposed in certain areas of the country it controls.

Libya’s National Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), one of the few bodies that operates across the country despite the conflict, has confirmed 3,222 cases. However, the disease has been spreading more quickly this month.

READ:  Four Arrested For Robbing In Muizenberg, Cape Town

Libya’s health system is in tatters after nearly a decade of chaos and war that has fragmented the state, destroyed infrastructure and left many people living in crowded conditions after fleeing their homes.

The lockdown which will start on Friday is going to last for at least five days, forbidding all movement outside except to buy necessities, and replacing a partial 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. curfew.

READ:  Paracetamol, A Common But Dangerous Medicine

Split since 2014 between areas held by the Government of National Accord (GNA) in Tripoli and a rival administration in the east, Libya managed to avoid an early surge of the pandemic

READ:  10 People Killed In Zambian Dump Collapse

According to the country’s health agency even as cases have also been confirmed in most other major population centres, the main outbreaks are focused in Tripoli, the port of Misrata and in the southern desert town of Sebha.

Continue Reading

African News

Seven Zimbabwe Babies Stillborn In One Night At Hospital

Published

on

By

Seven Zimbabwe Babies Stillborn In One Night At Hospital

Zimbabwean doctors have on Wednesday said seven babies were stillborn in one night at a major hospital in the country this week because their mothers did not get adequate medical care due to a nurses’ strike.

The crippling health sector in Zimbabwe has been facing dispute over unhealthy working conditions in hospitals. Nurses are on strike nationwide because of a lack of personal protective equipment (PPE) and other concerns, and the maternity wards were overwhelmed.

READ:  10 People Killed In Zambian Dump Collapse

Nurses are demanding U.S. dollar salaries, which the government says it cannot afford. The health sector has recently been hit by a Covid-19 procurement scandal.

That has left government hospitals with skeleton staff and doctors and senior nurses stretched at a time when the country is grappling with rising COVID-19 cases.

Three doctors who work in the maternity and paediatric units told Reuters that out of eight pregnant women who underwent caesarean sections on Monday night at Sally Mugabe Hospital, the biggest in the country, only one successfully delivered a baby.

READ:  DRC Boycotts 2 UN Events Because It Wasn't Consulted

“This was preventable. Some ruptured their uterus because nobody was there to monitor them, so when interventions were made it was to save the mother,” one of the doctors said, declining to be identified because they are not allowed to speak to the press.

READ:  South Africa: Court Hears Of Alleged Assault And Torture Of Prisoners

Another doctor said fresh stillbirths – meaning a baby that dies during labour or delivery – were just a window into the state of Zimbabwe’s public hospitals, which had become “dysfunctional and a death trap to citizens”.

Continue Reading

African News

Independent Review Panel Clears Adesina Of All Allegations

Published

on

By

Independent Review Panel Clears Adesina Of All Allegations

President of the African Development Bank, Akinwumi Adesina is now free to contest in next month’s election after an independent review panel completely exonerated him of all corruption allegations and ethical wrongdoings.

READ:  Paracetamol, A Common But Dangerous Medicine

Early this year, sixteen allegations of ethical misconduct was brought against Adesina by a group of whistleblowers.

Apart from reviewing the report of the ethics committee, the panel also reviewed each of the 16 allegations by the whistleblowers, and Adesina’s responses to them.

READ:  Army On Streets As Zimbabwe Awaits Election Results

The committee dismissed all allegations after finding the president’s submission consistent and persuasive.

Akinwumi Adesina is currently the eighth president of the bank.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: