Connect with us

African News

Mozambique “Losing $60 Million A Year” To Illegal Fishing – Report

Published

on

Mozambique "Losing $60 Million A Year" To Illegal Fishing – Report

Mozambique is losing at least $60 million a year because of illegal fishing, the country’s minister of the sea, inland waters and fisheries, Agostinho Mondlane, has reportedly said.

According to Mozambique News Agency, Mondlane revealed this during the 7th meeting of Fish-i Africa in the capital Maputo recently.

“We should take on individual and collective responsibility for defending the noble interests of our peoples and nations,” Mondlane was quoted as saying.

READ:  African leaders in Congo Brazzaville for Blue Fund for Congo Basin summit

He said the most effective way to fight illegal and unreported fishing would be through unified efforts from African countries along the Indian Ocean to help gain food security for the development of the affected countries.

READ:  France Drops Genocide Charges Against Rwandan Officials

The fight against illegal fishing has been ongoing, as it also contributes largely towards overfishing. A lot of fish and other marine animals have been placed on the “threatened species list”, according to UN Environment.org.

In 2014, WWF Global applauded the ratification of the FAO Port State Measures Agreement (PSMA) by Mozambique, saying that this was a “huge step in the global fight to eliminate illegal fishing”.

READ:  CAR Signs Peace Deal With 14 Armed Groups

WWF said at the time that African countries were among the most targeted by Illegal, Unreported and Unregulated (“IUU“) fishing, due to insufficient fisheries monitoring and governance in the region.

African News

DR Congo: At Least Three Killed In Protests Over Election Chief

Published

on

By

At Least Three Killed In Protests Over Congo Election Chief

The United Nations Joint Human Rights Office says at least three persons were killed on Thursday during protests in the DRC capital, Kinshasa, and in some other areas in the country.

Demonstrations erupted after nomination of an election commission chief stirred public anger and further tension in the ruling coalition.

READ:  Malawi Launches $40 Monthly Cash Transfers To Combat Coronavirus Impact

Police fired tear gas to disperse thousands of supporters of president Felix Tshisekedi and democracy campaigners as they marched through the streets of Kinshasa, Lubumbashi, Goma and several smaller towns.

The United Nations joint human rights office said it was “concerned about the use of lethal force by law enforcement which led to the death of two protesters.”

READ:  UEFA Suspends Champions League, Europa League Due To Coronavirus

A U.N. Rights body also condemned the death of a police officer.

Protesters said they were upset at the move to appoint Ronsard Malonda as president of the independent national electoral commission. His nomination was ratified by the national assembly last week but the president is yet to sign off on it.

READ:  Rare Emerald Crystal Found In Zambia's Kagem Mine

Tshisekedi’s supporters accuse Malonda of being close to former president Joseph Kabila, who still wields extensive powers through his parliamentary majority, control of most cabinet ministries and the army.

Continue Reading

African News

Morocco Extends Coronavirus Emergency Decree Until Aug 10

Published

on

By

Morocco Extends Coronavirus Emergency Decree Until Aug 10

Morocco has extended an emergency decree imposed in response to the coronavirus outbreak.

The cabinet maintained on Thursday the decree will remain in force until the middle of next month to give local authorities a leeway in taking restrictive measures to allow for restoring lockdowns on a region-by-region basis depending on coronavirus developments.

READ:  UN Urges DR Congo To Reject Violence Ahead Of Pools

Morocco has lifted lockdown in late June in most of the economy allowing cafes, restaurants, sports clubs, and other services and entertainment businesses to resume activity at half capacity. Domestic travel has also resumed, borders are set to reopen on July 14.

READ:  Malawi Launches $40 Monthly Cash Transfers To Combat Coronavirus Impact

The provinces where infections remain higher such as Marrakech, Tangier and Safi are still on a lockdown.

Morocco has recorded more than 15,000 covid-19 cases, including 242 deaths. Nearly 11,500 patients have recovered.

READ:  UEFA Suspends Champions League, Europa League Due To Coronavirus

Continue Reading

African News

Algeria Tightening Travel Restrictions To Limit Coronavirus Infections

Published

on

By

Algeria Tightening Travel Restrictions To Limit Coronavirus Infections

Algeria is tightening travel restrictions to limit coronavirus infections and says it will re-impose travel restrictions today, Friday.  The country will also increase testing in a bid to stop a rise in coronavirus infections.

READ:  African leaders in Congo Brazzaville for Blue Fund for Congo Basin summit

The government announced, under the new measure, citizens will be barred from traveling to and from 29 provinces including the capital, Algiers, for a week beginning Friday.

READ:  Uganda, Ethiopia Suffer Export Decline In Coffee Exportation

Restrictions and curfew hours were eased last month in some provinces.

The north African country has reported nearly 18,000 confirmed infections and 988 deaths.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: