Connect with us

World News

Trump Says That His Agreement With North Korea Will Be Good For China

Published

on

Trump Says That His Agreement With North Korea Will Be Good For China

U.S. President Donald Trump on Tuesday praised China’s President Xi Jinping for helping secure an agreement towards North Korea’s denuclearization, and said the deal would be good for Beijing.

“Making a deal is a great thing for the world, it’s also a great thing for China, I can’t imagine that China is happy with someone having nuclear weapons so close, so China is very happy,” Trump told reporters in Singapore after his historic meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.

READ:  Kabul University Hit By Deadly Bomb Blast, Eight Killed

China’s foreign ministry issued a statement praising the resolve of Trump and Kim.

Trump said he would call Xi, probably before he lands in Washington on his way back from Singapore, to tell him about the results of the meeting. He said he would be including Beijing in follow-up discussions.

China is by far North Korea’s biggest trade partner and has been the isolated country’s traditional political ally. Speaking after the Singapore summit, China’s foreign ministry spokesman suggested that sanctions relief could be considered for North Korea if it abides by U.N. resolutions, while adding that China had always strictly abided by all these resolutions.

READ:  U.N. Sets To Review Arms Embargo Measures On C.A.R

Trump said he believed that China had in recent weeks eased up on sanctions against North Korea, allowing more trade to flow between the two countries, suggesting that this weakening in the response may have been Beijing’s way of letting the United States know it was not happy with Washington’s tough stance against Beijing in trade talks.

READ:  Taliban Meets With US Officials At UAE In Latest Move To Ending Afghan War

The Global Times, an influential Chinese state-run newspaper, said in an editorial that the time was right to consider “an appropriate reduction of the sanctions” against North Korea.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

World News

Russia Approves World’s First Coronavirus Vaccine 

Published

on

By

Russia Approves World’s First Coronavirus Vaccine 

Russian, president Vladimir Putin has announced on Tuesday that Russia has developed the first vaccine offering “sustainable immunity” against coronavirus.

The president said during a televised video conference call with government ministers that for the first time in the world, a vaccine against the new coronavirus was registered” in the country.

READ:  Taliban Meets With US Officials At UAE In Latest Move To Ending Afghan War

Putin said the country’s health ministry has given regulatory approval for the vaccine, developed by Moscow’s Gamaleya Institute, after less than two months of human testing.

Three days ago, ANN reported that a senior health official at a Russian state laboratory’s vaccine for the novel coronavirus disclosed that it is undergoing its final testing phase and is expected to be registered soon.

READ:  Chinese-funded Ethiopia-Djibouti Railway Line Boosts Trade

Last week, Deputy Health Minister Oleg Grinev said in comments carried by the Russian news agency Interfax that “currently it is in the final testing phase, which is extremely important. We need to understand that the vaccine will be safe”.

READ:  U.N. Sets To Review Arms Embargo Measures On C.A.R

According to Johns Hopkins University data, Russia has recorded more than 895,000 cases, the world’s fourth-largest Coronavirus caseload behind the United States, Brazil and India.

Continue Reading

World News

Trump Escorted Out Of Briefing As Man Shot Near White House

Published

on

By

Trump Escorted Out Of Briefing As Man Shot Near White House

During a televised news conference on Monday, the United States president Donald Trump was escorted out in the middle of the briefing after Secret Service agents shot and wounded a man who claimed to be armed outside the White House.

In a statement by the Secret Service stated that a 51-year-old man, who has not been identified, approached the officer, told him he had weapons and assumed a “shooter’s stance”, whereupon the officer shot him in the torso.

READ:  Two US Senators Warn Trump Against Nuclear Deal With Saudis

The Secret Service however did not say whether the man was armed, adding that “both the officer and the suspect were then taken to hospital”

The chief of the Secret Service Uniformed Division Tom Sullivan said the White House complex was not breached and no one under Secret Service protection was in danger.

READ:  Taliban Meets With US Officials At UAE In Latest Move To Ending Afghan War

Law enforcement officials were trying to determine a motive and authorities were investigating whether the man had a history of mental illness.

Earlier, Trump had just begun a Coronavirus briefing when a US Secret Service agent escorted him from the briefing room. The president returned minutes later, saying there had been a “shooting” outside the White House that was “under control.”

READ:  US Will Not Suspend Boeing 737 MAX Aircraft After Ethiopia Crash

Trump said, “there was an actual shooting and somebody’s been taken to the hospital.” The president said law enforcement had fired the shots and that he believed the individual who was shot was armed.

Continue Reading

World News

Lebanon’s Aoun Accepts Gov’t Resignation, Asks Diab To Stay On In Caretaker Capacity

Published

on

By

Lebanon's Aoun Accepts Gov't Resignation, Asks Diab To Stay On In Caretaker Capacity

Just after the Lebanese Prime Minister Hassan Diab announced the resignation of his government following last week’s devastating explosion in Beirut port, President Michel Aoun has accepted the resignation of the prime minister’s government and asked it to stay on in a caretaker capacity until a new cabinet is formed.

READ:  Algeria Confirms Two More Coronavirus Cases

Earlier on Monday in a televised evening address to the nation, Diab announced the resignation of the entire cabinet characterizing the detonation of highly explosive material warehoused at the capital’s port for the past seven years as being “the result of endemic corruption.”

Diab calling for the trial of those responsible for the blast said “today, we follow the will of the people in their demand to hold accountable those responsible for the disaster that has been in hiding for seven years, and their desire for real change.”

READ:  Trump’s Africa Strategy Should Have Cast China As A Regional Partner, Not A Global Adversary

The resignation came after protesters accused the country’s leaders of negligence and corruption leading to the explosion that killed at least 200 persons and wounding 6,000 others.

READ:  Western Officials Believe Iran Shot Down Ukrainian Airliner

On Sunday, Lebanese police fired tear gas to try to disperse rock-throwing protesters blocking a road near Parliament in Beirut after a second day of anti-government demonstrations.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: